Thursday, October 9, 2008

Obama substantively responds to McCain's jabs and Palin's Ayers smears

Barack Obama has substantively responded to McCain's jabs and Sarah Palin's William Ayers smears.
Obama delivered a nice line against McCain's jabs about [the myth of] how America does really not know about him, noting that McCain isn't willing to make this attack to his face.
In his interview with ABC News' Charlie Gibson, Obama said:
Well, I am surprised that, you know, we've been seeing some pretty over-the-top attacks coming out of the McCain campaign over the last several days that he wasn't willing to say it to my face . . . .
[And to the Ayers smear charge: ]
<< EXCLUSIVE TRANSCRIPT OF FINAL MINUTE OF GIBSON'S INTERVIEW OF OBAMA >>
Why don't we clear it up right now. I'll repeat again what I've said many times.
This is a guy who engaged in some despicable acts forty years ago, when I was eight years old. By the time I met him, 15 years ago, he was a college professor of education at the University of Illinois. And we served on a school reform board together --a board, by the way, that was funded by Walter Annenberg, who had been an ambassador and close friend of Ronald Reagan's. So, I have talked to him about school reform issues, and the notion that somehow he has been involved in my campaign that he is an adviser of mine, that I've palled around with a terrorist- All these statements are simply made to try to score cheap political points. Look, I can handle these attacks for the remaining four weeks, but it certainly is not serving our democracy right now. We need to be having a debate about how we're gonna yank ourselves out of a very difficult situation. And that's what I'm going to spend my time talking about.


As Obama says, there it is. Let's let go of the subject. Both the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal have thoroughly researched the Ayers connection, and there isn't anything new or earth-shaking.
BUT, we're still waiting and wondering: when will a journalist from ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CNN, MSNBC or any other major broadcast media outlet interview John McCain about G. Gordon Liddy or John Singlaub (of the USCWF / WACL) or interview Sarah Palin about Joe Vogler (the founder of the secessionist AIP)?

No comments: